Woven Threads
Musings on Fiber

Sometimes breaking “the rules” still works

September 3rd 2011 in Projects

Somewhere I’d run into someone talking about using a painted yarn in a log cabin weaving in order to have a more subtle pattern.  I thought this was a neat idea and decided to try it with some yarn which Thea and I had dyed.

On the loom, I was really disappointed.  I couldn’t see the pattern at all!  I know that happens with certain designs so I decided to reserve judgement until it was finished.  Despite not seeing the pattern, it still looked nifty, so I didn’t think it would be a “total” loss.

Off the loom, once it had a chance to relax overnight, the pattern became visible.  After washing, even more so.  It’s still rather subtle; the log cabin effect is somewhat lost from a distance. Nevertheless, I definitely plan to try it again!

Share



required



required - won't be displayed


Your Comment:

I have been interviewed in a feature by BeckLee Cottage Designs.  You can read it at: http://www.beckleecottagedesigns.com/etsy-3/tueasday-feature-woven-threads

Share
Previous Entry

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the Knitter’s Mercantile’s Blog and saw an entry about a knit-along where they made a “Bermuda Shawl/Scarf”.  Seeing the twisty-curvy bands of colour inspired me to see if I could do something like this woven as a tapestry.  I figured I could attempt to do a loom-shaped […]

Share
Next Entry

Categories

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 15 other subscribers

Error: